[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:43:26 UTC 2012

2012/10/1 michael spreng <michael at spreng.ch>:

> On 01.10.2012 12:32, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> As far as I am aware Apple is not distributing pictures but data
>> (vectors) which are rendered on the device.
>>
> It does not matter where the image is rendered.
>
> There is no clear line what are vector tiles and what is OSM data. But
> as I learned, what matters a lot is Intent. You can not say do
> technically this or that and you are adhering the license. You have to
> match the license on a higher level. In that regard, it does not matter
> if you transfer the map as vector data or as pixels, as long as it is a
> map (produced work in the ODbL sense)

if you can do queries e.g. to search a street, doesn't that require a database?

btw., I did some cross checks and it looks like they are using
pre-redaction data, so ODbL should not matter for the current
situation, see for example this way: id 24673359. This road was
redacted but is contained in iMaps.

cheers,
Martin