[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Michal Palenik michal.palenik at freemap.sk
Mon Oct 1 19:36:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:00:15PM +0200, michael spreng wrote:

> On 01.10.2012 12:32, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > As far as I am aware Apple is not distributing pictures but data
> > (vectors) which are rendered on the device.
> >
> It does not matter where the image is rendered.
>
> There is no clear line what are vector tiles and what is OSM data. But
> as I learned, what matters a lot is Intent. You can not say do
> technically this or that and you are adhering the license. You have to
> match the license on a higher level. In that regard, it does not matter
> if you transfer the map as vector data or as pixels, as long as it is a
> map (produced work in the ODbL sense)

probably a topic for legal talk, bud a "thing" can be both produced work
and derived database at the same time (imho).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines
did not give much light into this.

what I was struck by, was featured image at our wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Ios_osm_islamabad.jpg
with title
"Apple showing _possibly_ OSM on their new map application on iOS 6."
was not the attribution displayed properly? why do we advertise
a commercial consumer not compliant with osm licence?

> Michael

Michal (as well)