[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Tue Oct 2 10:07:28 UTC 2012

>> 3. There's a tool written by Pascal Neis that analyses the activities of
>
>> new signups. Rather than looking at their home location and language,
>> the tool simply looks at where they make their first edits. See
>> http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosmlist.php for how many new users
>> there are in the last days or last week, or
>> http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm.php for a map that also has the
>
>> individual user names.
>>

> I add to this that when I signed up, I was pleasantly surprised to be
> welcomed quite manually by local mappers in Brisbane who noticed me. I
> think they actually noticed my first diary entry (which described my first
> edits, such a cliche!), but imagine they would have found me by some other
> tool pretty soon anyway. It was a vitally important detail to my getting
> addicted and into the community.

This is good point: manual private email is something quite different from automatic confirmations. You can put very useful information there, but I do delete such mails without reading semiautomatically, and I suspect I'm not the onluy one. We have also few people in our community who use Pascal's tool to check edits and if these are no good, then they send PM via OSM website. This looks like a negative welcome, as it is pointing to errors, but it could be said with positive tone. Sending real personal emails would be much better than OSM personal message, but I've heard that even this PM gets answered quite often.

 We have discussed also about idea to assign Personal Mentors to new users, so with the first welcome message you would get also real person contacts (name,  email, maybe even FB handle or something) and you can ask any questions in addition to general references to wikis and email lists. In ideal case it would be a community manager from your own town. One point of this is to encourage users to do changes, so they know (or at least believe) that there is someone wise reviewing it later if they "mess it up".

Jaak