[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Hugh Barnes osm at hubns.com
Tue Oct 2 08:03:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:32:52 +0200, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
wrote:
> Michal,
>
> On 10/02/12 08:43, Michal Palenik wrote:
>> is it possible to get a list of new users which set their home location
>> in our region and/or their preferred language is SK for the purpose of
>> contacting them with welcome message?

I had thought about turning this around to avoid any resemblance to
spam-like behaviour. User profiles could include a checkbox "Put me down as
a help or welcome agent for any new users in my area".

It might be an option that only appears on one's profile (and is notified)
after a certain editing activity threshold has been reached. Lots to be
fleshed out, and few hairs on it I can see already, but you get the idea
(right?).

<snip/>

> 2. There is already a welcome email that is sent out to every new signup

> and it is internationalized and the contents can be changed on
> TranslateWiki. The bits you're looking for are approximately here:

http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&task=view&language=sk&group=out-osm-site&limit=40&offset=896

This welcome email and the new user's view of their own profile are two
places I would list volunteer local welcomers' usernames.

<snip/>

> 3. There's a tool written by Pascal Neis that analyses the activities of

> new signups. Rather than looking at their home location and language,
> the tool simply looks at where they make their first edits. See
> http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosmlist.php for how many new users
> there are in the last days or last week, or
> http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm.php for a map that also has the

> individual user names.

I add to this that when I signed up, I was pleasantly surprised to be
welcomed quite manually by local mappers in Brisbane who noticed me. I
think they actually noticed my first diary entry (which described my first
edits, such a cliche!), but imagine they would have found me by some other
tool pretty soon anyway. It was a vitally important detail to my getting
addicted and into the community.

Cheers
Hugh