[Osmf-talk] Access to membership list

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Oct 5 15:40:22 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 16:30, Alex Barth wrote:

>  From Frederik's post on  http://osm.gryph.de/2012/10/transparency-and-confidentiality/
>
>> This has even led to the strange situation that I, the organisation’s secretary, have not been given access to the list of members when I requested it.
>
> Frederik suggests here that he's permanently refused access to that list - I doubt that's true. What's the access policy to the membership list?  IMO name, osm user, member since could be public.

It's quite simple really, per UK law anybody is entitled to ask to
inspect the register of members, or to receive a copy.

Members may not be charged to inspect it but may be charged for a copy.

Non members may be charge to inspect it and to see a copy.

The details are all here:

   http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/116

Despite what people often suggest I do not believe there is any conflict
with the Data Protection Act here as that only requires that personal
data be processed fairly and in accordance with the way you have said
you are going to process it in your registration.

As another law requires this to be disclosed I don't see any way it
could be unfair...

It's nonsensical to suggest that the current Companies Act, passed after
the current DPA, would require companies to do something that another
act prohibited them from doing.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)