[Osmf-talk] Board Cohesion/Confidentiality

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Oct 5 15:44:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM, SteveCoast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

>> Frederik is simply arguing that things should only be treated as such where strictly necessary, and not simply as a default position. In other words that things should be as open as possible.

> I agree with all of this.
>
> The next question is trust.

Sure.  I think that increased appropriate openness will lead to even
more community trust of this board than of previous boards.  Of
course, inappropriate openness would harm trust as would inappropriate
confidentiality.

If I'm hearing the board correctly, they are each saying, "We must
have appropriate openness and appropriate confidentiality."  I don't
see how that can start an argument.  Deciding where the bright lines
are, and what to do about the inevitable middle ground is really the
goal.  We've already agreed on the broad principles.

I like that some board members are stating opinions on issues, before
the board takes a decision.  I like that community members are
offering their opinions[1] as well.  I do wish that this thread was
more of a discussion to lead up to the eventual board discussion.
Some parts feel more like entrenchment than discussion.

[1] It is OSM so we know that a broad range of opinions will be expressed.