[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Ben Johnson wincom at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 1 01:57:11 UTC 2012

First time post to this group.

I do not see what the big problem is with making this announcement at SOTM. In fact, I feel SOTM is the proper platform at which to make such announcements. Use of the term "spectacle" is being thrown around to belittle those organizing it, and i find it borderline offensive. Personally I don't see this as a "spectacle". It's an important announcement being given the high profile it deserves. In fact, I'd expect nothing less.

And what is wrong with a "spectacle"?

All successful major organizations partake in shameless self-promotion. What are we afraid of? You can argue semantics about readiness all day. Nothing in this world is ever truly complete or perfect, so I'm very much with Henk on this - if its all but ready as he says, lets do it.

I take my OSM hobby very seriously. I contributed generously to last year's fundraising drive and spent hundreds of hours remapping here in Australia - a community that was badly split and suffered enormous redaction losses.

I was quite thrilled to read about the SOTM license announcement (call it a "spectacle" if you want)... it's an appropriate platform for the hard work of many to actually be recognized - and recognition is an important motivator for many of us.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

BJ

Sent from my iPhone