[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Rich richlv at nakts.net
Sat Sep 1 07:58:43 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-01 01:42, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:33:46AM +0200, Henk Hoff wrote:
>> Strange to see this discussion popping up now. Like Simon mentioned, we are
>> about ready to switch the license. The major issues have been resolved, a
>> procedure to report new claims of license infringement is in place, etc.
>>

>> There will always be new issues popping up that could stop us from changing
>> the license. "Look, we're not ready; everything is going to fail if we
>> continue". Well, if you focus on the things that can go wrong it will be a
>> self-fulfilling prophecy: it will fail. If we want to go forward we need to
>> focus on our goals and try to work towards them.
>
> Henk,
>
> If you are saying that we are ready today, then we should switch today, not
> tomorrow, and not the day after, but right now. But if we are not ready, we
> should wait.
>
> What people are objecting to, which you have not addressed, is the idea of
> "flipping the switch" at State of the Map.
>
> This would indicate that either the organization is either taking the action
> prematurely, or else they have needlessly delayed the process in order to wait
> for it to be a public spectacle. In either case, doing so would be disrespectful
> to those of us who've been part of a long multi-year process that we've taken
> very seriously.

if we are not ready to do the switch, doing that for the show would not
be good. but if we're in that state of "pretty much ready, but there are
these 100 small, optional things", i don't see anything wrong with
setting a deadline (which happens to coincide with sotm). whatever of
those optional things is finished by that time is done, what's not will
be done later, as time permits.

otherwise we will repeat this same discussion before sotm 2020

also, pr and marketing is a lot. doing it at sotm would likely deliver
message to many who would miss it otherwise. osm isn't that successful
in popularising itself, in most cases exposure "just happens". let's
work more towards active marketing.

--
  Rich