[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Sat Sep 1 08:19:15 UTC 2012

On 01/09/12 02:57, Ben Johnson wrote:
> And what is wrong with a "spectacle"?
>
> All successful major organizations partake in shameless self-promotion. What are we afraid of? You can argue semantics about readiness all day. Nothing in this world is ever truly complete or perfect, so I'm very much with Henk on this - if its all but ready as he says, lets do it.

It seems Frederik is afraid the board wants to make a bid for "glory",
but I must say I doubt that.

> I take my OSM hobby very seriously. I contributed generously to last year's fundraising drive and spent hundreds of hours remapping here in Australia - a community that was badly split and suffered enormous redaction losses.
>
> I was quite thrilled to read about the SOTM license announcement (call it a "spectacle" if you want)... it's an appropriate platform for the hard work of many to actually be recognized - and recognition is an important motivator for many of us.

Me too. SotM isn't about "marketing" OSM, it's primarily a community
event and so it's entirely appropriate for us to celebrate the
switch-over there.

I remember SteveC standing up at SotM in 2008 and saying something very
much like, "we can't talk about the license here, it's all in the hands
of the lawyers."

It's time we, as a community, drew a symbolic line under the process and
the community's international gathering is the ideal time to do it. We
need closure!

Jonathan.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :   Managing Director  :   SpiffyMap Ltd

md at spiffymap.com     Phone: 08453138457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry, CV4 7EZ