[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Serge Wroclawski serge at wroclawski.org
Sat Sep 1 10:23:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:15:38AM -0400, Richard Welty wrote:

> i think SOTM is an excellent venue for this announcement. it's just sound
> marketing practice.

State of the Map is an internal community event. In fact it's been shown
that the more that SoTM stays from that, and tries to use it as an
"outreach" event, then it's less well attended, when while the community
at large grows.

So it doesn't make sense to market to your core community. What it does
is trivialize the collective thousands of hours of work that have been
put into the process by mappers around the world as we've done map
cleanup before and after the license switch.

If you want to think about marketing, think about the message that it
sends to people like me who've spend dozens or in some cases, hundreds
of hours of their own time as part of this license transition process.

- Serge