[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Sep 1 16:00:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Serge Wroclawski <serge at wroclawski.org>wrote:

> State of the Map is an internal community event. In fact it's been shown
> that the more that SoTM stays from that, and tries to use it as an
> "outreach" event, then it's less well attended, when while the community
> at large grows.

I disagree. SOTM is a community event, sure, but it has been much more than
that at least since 2009, when we decided to add a third day to the
conference which was then dedicated to businesses and governments using or
wanting to use OSM. This attracted a whole new audience to the conference.
We were up that year to 250 attendees, up from something like 150 the
previous year in Limerick, iirc. From the SOTMs I have seen since, the
breadth has even increased to include more academic input and interest.
When did attendance fall because of an expanded scope?

--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com