[Osmf-talk] ODbL switchover at SOTM, bad idea

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Sat Sep 1 16:26:00 UTC 2012

> >I disagree. SOTM is a community event, sure, but it has been much more
> >than
> >that at least since 2009, when we decided to add a third day to the
> >conference which was then dedicated to businesses and governments using
> >or
> >wanting to use OSM.
>
> Yes, this controversial move was the first step in shifting SoTM away from
> the community and towards a perceived audience of outsiders.

You probably didn't read the 2012 program carefully, because there is no
"Business Day".

> >We were up that year to 250 attendees, up from something like 150 the
> >previous year in Limerick, iirc. From the SOTMs I have seen since, the
> >breadth has even increased to include more academic input and interest.
> >When did attendance fall because of an expanded scope?
>

> Denver and Tokyo are expected to be smaller than Girona, with many
> community members, even Europeans, deciding to go to Portland instead.

There is no need to have a conference growing larger every year. 200 - 300
attendees is a good size in my opinion.
If there is a need for more conferences, then every local community can
organize another SotM, like this year in US and last year in Europe.
You will always have people with a long travel.

But to come back to the original topic of this discussion:
I think a conference is always a good place to make announcements.

Daniel

> In other words, it's not the travel but the conference itself.
>
> - Serge
> --

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de