[Osmf-talk] LWG recommends license change-over can go ahead

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Sep 3 10:42:12 UTC 2012

Dear OSMF members,

Just to let you know that I have been able to send the following
recommendation to the board. I understand that they will consider this
at their meeting on Wednesday in Tokyo. For the LWG, our remaining task
is coordinate on updating all license-related documentation on the OSM
and OSMF wikis ... most is already done.

"The License Working Group understands that  DWG has completed redaction
runs and believes the live published database to be clean.  LWG has also
reviewed a number of cases and is satisfied that the redaction bot
performed correctly and that all issues reported immediately after the
main run have been investigated and properly responded to. It is
therefore our recommendation that the license under which OpenStreetMap
geodata is published be changed from CC-BY-SA to Open Database License
(ODbL) 1.0 as per
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan
Subject to board approval, we request that a date and time be set so
that key documents can be changed. "