[Osmf-talk] a tired narrative

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 15:44:52 UTC 2012

Frederik recently wrote (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2012-August/001725.html)

"We are not doing the license change for the glory of the OSMF board."

I've been offline since this frankly poisonous post, and I still want to respond. Before I unpack this, I'll acknowledge that it's a moot point.
ODbL planet has been accounced, http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/09/06/your-first-odbl-planet/
And a new Board has been announced for 2012-2013.

But what I hope for most of all is a functional OSMF, and that's why I'm addressing this head on.
There is no glory in serving on the OSMF Board. None. It's thankless, tiring, and frustrating. It's also absolutely necessary,
and anyone involved in OSM should be thankful for anyone who volunteers their time to serve. And that goes for anyone else who volunteers
their time with the OSMF, working on the license change, keeping the servers running, blogging, handling disputes, etc.

And we are mostly quietly trying to continue good work under periodic attacks like this one. As explained later in the thread by Henk,
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2012-August/001736.html we were so close (and now finished),
the email was a complete surprise and distraction. Though Frederik has had numerous opportunities to make his thoughts known,
he chose here not to work within any structure of the OSMF. The only time I can recall a substantial contribution (and this can be backed up by
many on this management team call from February) is a frightening tirade of abuse and yelling, against the notion that the Board was in
position to make any decision at all on the license change. This was the meeting where I first suggested hiring someone to do the redaction
bot, since it seemed like volunteers resources were inadequate, a point that was drowned out by totally inappropriate aggression
and a ridiculous suggestion.

Otherwise, Frederik has promoted willful acts against cooperation within the OSMF. From http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2012-August/001695.html

"I believe that in some cases in the past years, the fact that our coders and admins were *not* employees and therefore able to reject board "orders" has actually helped."

This is a totally selfish and irresponsible to insist on your own way, outside of agreed decision making processes, just because you disagree.
There are many things over my years with the OSMF I haven't agreed with, and I communicate that through the appropriate channels,
and when a decision is made, I've honored it. There are never "orders", but decisions, and everyone has always been very open to talking through everything,
and even changing course if necessary.

OSMF faces real management issues. No one is involved for their own benefit. Attacks and silent undermining have damaged the OSMF.
We must openly find a way to work with each other with honesty and good will. Please I beg you all, let's do better this coming year.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron