[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 24 14:10:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

    I think Richard's idea is excellent, and even better to have someone
who has a long-time track record of community involvement like him to
step forward and volunteer.

On 09/24/2012 04:00 PM, Pierre Béland wrote:
> That type of work would not be efficient if done in a centralized way.
> It should belong to local communities when possible.

I'm sure Richard won't stand in the way of anyone wanting to do the same
thing locally.

> Would it be better to first provide tools for local communities to
> welcome new members, identify local contributors, and monitor mapping in
> their area?

These tools exist for expert users; and are hard to build in a
non-expert-user friendly way. It would likely be beyond the scope of
Richard's suggested working group to try and code a set of tools (and
guidelines on how to use them) that local communities could use right away.

Why not simply run such a "WWWG" for a while and then use whatever can
be learned from that to kick-start local efforts, instead of sinking
man-years into writing tools where it isn't even clear that these are
the ones best suited for the task?

Bye
Frederik