[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Sep 24 14:33:22 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Pierre BĂ©land <infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> 2012-09-24 Jorge Gustavo Rocha
>
>>  It is hard to create such a wide WG to attend the specific
>> difficulties and cultures of each community. The support to new mappers
>> is better provided by neighbors, I think.
>
> I agree with Jorge. OSM is a multicultural organization and a multitude of
> languages are spoken.

Sure.  I agree with both of you.  This project would be of limited
utility if it "only works in specific-language".  I hope that what is
learned from this project will be usable by the community at large.

I wouldn't suggest that WWWG (or whatever it is called, Mikel :-) )
Take Over communication with newcomers.  I expect that communication
with newcomers is best done locally.  But I think that we can find
that out for sure with supporting data.  I would like whatever is
learned by WWWG to allow local communities to benefit from that
information and choose to adapt it to local conditions.

Hypothetically: If we find that new mappers are 12% more productive
after attending a local Mappy Hour then we should say so.  That
doesn't mean that WWWG or OSMF should take over creation of local OSM
meeting groups.  :-)

So, I'll be very happy to see this project, or something like it,
start and succeed with a diverse-language team.  Even if it is "only"
started in say, six of the more-common OSM languages, that's better
than only one.  We may learn that different language communities
respond differently to the same stimulus.

If we find that we are getting interesting results from languages one
through six, hopefully we'll also find a way to "scale" the research.
Perhaps with tools that permit more volunteers from more local
communities to participate but with less overhead.