[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Sep 24 16:00:40 UTC 2012

Richard -

This is an excellent idea. I'd like to get involved.

I like getting started with an email campaign to start learning more about new comers.

Here are the next actions I'm seeing

- Identify the group we'd like to target
 - Going for a small percentage is good, we'll wind up doing much work manually.
 - I think we should limit geographically, depending on who's going to join the WG (e. g. I could contact east coast mappers). Ideally we get people involved from young OSM countries to get good diversity.
- Find a way to generate email lists based on the groups we've identified.
- Identify a tool chain / best practices for contacting (Christian: what did you use in France, what was the volume of messages you sent out?)
- Come up with a process that ensures appropriateness and privacy. Contacting a day / days after sign up, contacting after first edit is probably fine. Letting large email lists go through many hands not so much.
- Identify measures - what are we looking for?
 - Response rate
 - Issues identified when getting started (e. g. stuff like language, looking for download not editing, etc.)
 - ...
- Formulate the email and start sending out.

I think we should time bound this effort and run for e. g. two months and see what we get, the immediate outcome would be a great many of individuals who got a little more help to climb the learning curve, a report of what we found and a much better idea of how to make this effort sustainable.

How do we kick this off? Get on #osm this week?