[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Sep 24 15:23:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think the concept is great. But how about we just simplify the name, to
> the Welcome Working Group?
>
> (Welcome Wagon is apparently some kind of creepy marketing
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Wagon)

"One man's 'creepy' is another man's 'dating strategy'", but sure.
:-)  It is probably best to avoid Welcome Wagon, simply because it is
a trade mark, and not ours.

I don't have a 'creepy' vibe from WW at all.  But, my only exposure to
WW is old films / tv, where they are presented as a friendly face to
welcome you to your new neighbourhood.  Yes.  It's marketing.

Perhaps the first test that we run will be to compare reactions to
- email from a user account
- email from a 'group' account, where the group is called something
like 'OSM welcoming committee' or something.

We might find that one or the other earns a more-positive response, or
that the response varies between recipient groups.