[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:11:39 UTC 2012

On 09/24/2012 04:48 AM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:42:42AM +0100, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
>
>> So, such Welcome Wagon could provide some design guidelines to get
>> the OSM web site reformulated, to attend new mappers.
>
> Please don't.
>
> No more "design guidelines".
>
> If people want to make things happen, great. Either do it, or pay
> someone to do it and submit it- but telling other people what to do is
> why the working groups have a bad reputation for many in the OSM
> community.

If the "design guidelines" are based on the collection of hard data,
recommending specific changes to improve usability for new comers, then
that would imho be very valuable.

I also don't see why the developers wouldn't appreciate and implement
such feedback. At least in the past the usability testing
recommendations of e.g. Andy [1,2] have mostly been implemented pretty
quickly.

So if the WWWG could collect some "scientific evidence" for specific
recommendations of how to improve the experience for newbies it would be
great. Particularly if it could answer some of the long standing
controversial opinion debates of what the best approaches are.

But it would have to produce actual data and not just more opinions,
something that e.g. the strategic working group unfortunately never
really achieved.

Kai

[1]
http://blog.gravitystorm.co.uk/2010/10/04/quick-and-dirty-usability-testing-of-osm/