[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Sep 24 17:55:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if the WWWG could collect some "scientific evidence" for specific
> recommendations of how to improve the experience for newbies it would be
> great. Particularly if it could answer some of the long standing
> controversial opinion debates of what the best approaches are.

Evaluating user experience on editors is out of scope for what I
envision for WWWG[1].  I might be convinced otherwise, of course.  I
really appreciate Andy's observations of usability and think there is
a lot to learn from it.  Andy, is a perfect example of somebody who
could / should make those observations; tons of OSM experience, keen
understanding of the project from top to bottom, careful observer able
to resist grabbing the mouse and screaming, "NO!  It's like this!!!!".
 I think WWWG, as I see it[2], is unlikely to get hard data like, "300
mappers left OSM frustrated because $random-design-or-UX-matter."  If
it were to turn up that "n% found editing too hard", that would be
important to share with others for action.

[1] but, hey, change my mind.
[2] or start a group to focus on UX - UI.