[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:43:00 UTC 2012

Hi

I am new to Osmf but signed up for osm about 7 months ago.  Since then it has become a hobby and I continue to actively edit on a frequent basis.  I guess I am therefore of no great interest to the proposed working party but I would make the following comments as a recent(ish) new member.

When I did my first edit, someone sent me an email welcoming me to osm and provided me with some feedback.  It was much appreciated as making your first contribution, for me, was quite daunting.  I assumed at the time that this was how osm worked when new people started to contribute but it would appear this was very much down to the individual and the local region where I made my first edit.  I would have liked a mentor or at least the offer of a mentor.  Someone that was there to provide positive feedback in a non judgmental way.  I would recommend your working party looks at this.

The newbies email group is certainly a very good idea and I found it very useful as people appreciate you are new and still learning.  I have now signed up to some other email groups and am glad I have only done this recently as these are clearly for experts and I would have found then quite intimidating.

Language is important.  So I would suggest any working party is separated accordingly.  It has taken me a while to realise how international the project is.  Most people dont have exposure to this.  If someone had accused me of "vandalism" when I had made an error due to being new to mapping it would have been quite upsetting.  However it does appear that the word is used when it might just be an error due to lack of experience.  I wouldn't want to pre judge any working party but keeping support local, in terms of language, would seem a good idea until people appreciate the international nature of osm.

In the last 7 months I have realised mapping is a skill and quite time consuming and I am still a novice.  It is also very enjoyable, makes you much more aware of the environment around you and it is very pleasing to see your work readily appear on the osm map.

There's more I could say but this email is already a bit long.

Apologies

Dudley