[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Apr 15 11:36:52 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Poole" <simon at poole.ch>
To: <osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on
Revision for 2013 AGM

> I'm slightly surprised that there is no discussion on points 4 to 6. In
> particular I would have at least thought that some discussion on the
> democratic elements (resolutions from outside of the board) would  take
> place. Can we in that case assume that everybody is fine with the
> proposals as suggested (without any restriction on proposals)?
>
> Simon

Since under section 303 (2)(b) of the Companies Act [1] a general meeting
can be called at the request of 5% of members having a right to vote, then
it seems that in the possible change to the Articles "Members can propose
written resolutions where they have 'support of x percentage of the members
submitted y days before the meeting.' where x=20% and y=1 month. "  that
x=20% is a high percentage, and I would suggest bringing it into line with
the percentage of members who can ask for a meeting to be called.

If it is not brought into line then I could foresee a situation where say 5%
of the members wanted to present a resolution, then they could not do so at
any general meeting called by the board, but they could then ask for another
meeting to be called, and the board would have to comply with that request.
This would be an unnecessary waste of everyones time.

David

[1]  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/303