[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Apr 19 12:47:44 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Fairhurst" <richard at systemeD.net>
To: "Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq)" <jaak at nutiteq.com>
Cc: <osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on
Revision for 2013 AGM

> On 19/04/2013 10:50, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) wrote:
>> Does Companies Act (or whatever was the law that requires publishing
>> member list) really allow this? UK laws can be strange sometimes, but
>> I'd be surprised it they't state something like that.
>
> Right now, no, it doesn't. The Companies Act requires that member names
> and addresses can be inspected at the company's registered office, which
> in our case is Andy Robinson's house. That's the situation we're in at
> present.
>
> The question is whether, under revised Articles of Association,
> 'supporters' (rather than formal company members) should have their names
> listed and inspectable.
>
> As it happens, I'm working on a talk for SOTM 2013 about understanding the
> OSM community. One of the metrics I want to look at is OSMF membership,
> and how that correlates to mapping activity. I've therefore made a request
> to OSMF for a copy of the member list.

It is possible that such a request is not a lawful reason for asking for a
copy of the members list, and release of the list in those circumstances may
therefore be a breach of the Data Protection Act.  "Examples of improper
purposes : any other purpose not related to the members in their capacity as
members of the company or to the exercise of their shareholder rights ".
See last bullet point in section 4B on page 5  of the guidance issued by the
Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators [1].  I'm not saying
this is the case, just something for OSMF to consider. Though as the
guidance also states "What is or is not a 'proper purpose' has not been
defined in the Act".

David

[1]