[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Apr 19 15:51:23 UTC 2013

To make it clear with respect to the non-Companies Act membership we are
not talking about making the list  available to the general public for
inspection, just to other members.

This naturally  doesn't help with Steves concern since it would
obviously be easy to arrange for somebody to join and inspect the list
on behalf of "big mapping company". While we don't want to exclude
anybody from joining, I would personally not recommend doing so if it is
really a critical issue for the person in question.

Employees of big mapping companies that would consider it an issue being
an OSMF member are not likely to be flocking in a big way to the OSMF,
more of an issue are citizens and inhabitants of countries where mapping
may be legally problematic and I don't think that we really can provide
enough protection against national agencies of any kind (even with a
secret list) and wouldn't want the responsibility either.

All that said, in the end we are a normal membership organisation, not a
church and at least in many countries I know, it would be considered as
normal to know who the other members are.

Simon