[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 01:30:16 UTC 2013

Hello,

during SotM-US there seems to have been a certain buzz around getting
corporate donations for OSMF. Although if I understand it correctly (did
I?), things haven't worked out quite as well as hoped back then, it
probably does indicate that among the various companies using OSM a
certain willingness to donate to OSM(F) exists.

As the OSMF in the past hasn't needed to do much real fund raising
(outside of SotM), it is perhaps not too surprising the corporate fund
raising at and after SotM-US or in general was not as successful as it
perhaps could have been. But it would probably be good to see if there
are lessons to be learned and things that can be done to increase the
success rate. It would be nice if the people involved in that effort
could share their experience and what the issues were in converting that
buzz into real money. Equally for the organizers of various SotMs, who
have been quite successfull in the past in organizing sponsors, it would
be great to share their experience.

What do companies want in return for donations? Publicity in form of
e.g. blog posts or donor websites? Evidence that the OSMF spends the
money wisely and responsibly? Certificates that they donated for tax
purposes? Do they indeed prefer to become "members" with re-occuring
charges or rather just donate repeatedly in one off donations?

Which of those wishes is OSMF set up to be able to offer now or in the
near future? And what is the level of donations for which this is justified?

As OSM partly saves companies quite substantial amounts of money
compared to commercial vendors or provides fresh business opportunities,
there should be more appeal to companies to make sure OSMF is well
funded than just the "generosity of their hart"...

With SotM just around the corner, that is probably  a good opportunity
again to talk to various corporations and try and convince them to
donate. Or at least understand better what it would take for them to
become (re-occurring) donors? Is there something that general members of
the OSMF can do to help in this process? Who from OSMF could spear head
such a "targeted donation drive" during SotM?

Overall, despite the fact that OSMF has been very restrained with its
budget, mostly keeping things to the bare minimum, I do think that
relying in whole on personal member fees and small donations by fellow
mappers is not going to be a sustainable model.

Kai