[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Tue Aug 27 07:27:49 UTC 2013

In a past life I've been taking care of the Paragliding World Cup. It is a
non-profit association which is in part financed by sponsoring.

Establishing long term partnership/support has been a very good move.
Instead of calling for support every year, having to deal with each company
budget deadlines and things like that, switching to a 3 year partnership
helped smoothing financing and have a much better mid term view (2-3 years
instead of 1).

I see no reason why this could not be done for OSMF too. It is an option of
course, and the more choice you offer the less reason to say no you leave ;)

Another important thing is to have many sources of financing. It avoids
problems when one source stops if it is does not represent more than a few
percent of your incomes.

Im also a bit surprised by a couple of figures given by Simon (insurance,
bank charges, etc) these seem very high to me.
Is it possible to have a link to a more detailed financial report ?

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Un nouveau serveur pour OSM... http://donate.osm.org/server2013/