[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Simon Poole simon at osmfoundation.org
Tue Aug 27 08:08:46 UTC 2013

Am 27.08.2013 09:27, schrieb Christian Quest:
> In a past life I've been taking care of the Paragliding World Cup. It
> is a non-profit association which is in part financed by sponsoring.
>
> Establishing long term partnership/support has been a very good move.
> Instead of calling for support every year, having to deal with each
> company budget deadlines and things like that, switching to a 3 year
> partnership helped smoothing financing and have a much better mid term
> view (2-3 years instead of 1).
>
> I see no reason why this could not be done for OSMF too. It is an
> option of course, and the more choice you offer the less reason to say
> no you leave ;)
>
> Another important thing is to have many sources of financing. It
> avoids problems when one source stops if it is does not represent more
> than a few percent of your incomes.

I didn't expand on this, however any corporate membership fee scheme
needs to limit the dependency on individual members, so I would want say
40 members at £1000, not 4 at £10'000.

> Im also a bit surprised by a couple of figures given by Simon
> (insurance, bank charges, etc) these seem very high to me.
Well not really, the liability situation is more comparable to a billion
$ company than a small mom and pop shop. The bank charges are also not
surprising given the large number of small transactions, exchange rate
losses etc.

> Is it possible to have a link to a more detailed financial report ?

http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Finances/Income_2012

Note that on the one hand the 2012 results are completely in line with
previous years for the expenses in question and further, these are the
2012 results, in other words for the financial year from September 1st
2011 to August 31st 2012. I don't expect a big difference for 2013 (the
financial year ending at the end of this month), which btw will include
expenses and income from SOTM 2012. The financing issues pose themselves
going forward.

I should point out that the concrete financials are Olivers turf and
(have to speculate because I've never been at a OSMF AGM) I expect the
he will be presenting the numbers and be available for questions  in
Birmingham.

Simon