[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Aug 27 09:20:39 UTC 2013

Am 27.08.2013 10:56, schrieb Ivo Stankov:
> I really hope the OSMF does not slide into the slippery slope of online advertising, even if it is just for a select group of "sponsors" at the beginning.
>
> One of the most commendable stances of the Wikimedia Foundation is that it chooses to ignore its huge advertising potential in favour of independence, lack of user tracking, etc.
>
> If they can shoulder such a big operation with donations only, I can't see why the OSMF couldn't.

While I agree with your sentiment wrt advertising. I don't believe that
we can completely be compared with WMF (history, lack of competition
etc), in particular they can finance themselves via donations because
they are a big operation with significant resources dedicated to
squeezing money out of potential donors. In other words yes I could see
that happening in a "big OSMF" scenario, but not in a low key, small
OSMF that has issues finding volunteers even for tasks that are quite
attractive (well a lot more attractive than fund raising essentially out
of your own pocket).

Simon