[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Aug 27 12:58:58 UTC 2013

One thing we haven't really talked about is approaching foundations
for funding. The Wikimedia Foundation does receive these types of
grants in addition to individual fundraising. Usually this type of
fundraising is not without some requirements, but it does allow a
funding source that is not directly tied to commercial entities that
some people are concerned about. Personally I think there should be a
wide approach for fundraising combining both individual donations,
corporation donations, and applying for grants to accomplish specific
goals. An example of a specific goal would be having tile server
mirrors in additional places such as Africa and parts of Asia to make
OSM more accessible to the people living there.

-Kate