[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 19:27:57 UTC 2013

I've been following this discussion closely.  I'm nervous about
accepting money from corporations however necessary it may be
sometimes.  It must always be considered carefully.  Personally I don't
think corporations should be given a vote and I don't think money should
buy influence.   If they want to give money to show their support or to
gain greater visibility at SOTM or similar event then fine.  It should
be made clear up front what any donations give them.

Like Kate I feel more can be got from National or Super-National
organisations from Governments to the UN, EU or other regional
organisations such as the Arab League etc.  All of these organisations
have remits to help and support their areas of interest and will have
budgets to do that. OSM can underpin and is underpinning many global or
local efforts.  We need to approach them.

Has anyone approached large charities
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wealthiest_charitable_foundations)
or Lotteries or Foundations
(http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/topfunders/top100assets.html).
If Bill and Melinda Gates want to help children in Africa it would help
if they had up to date maps of Africa!

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with who ever said we should make
membership auto-renew, with Direct Debits.

Lastly, do we have any idea/stats on who is using our maps or taking
extracts from the database the most.  While we can't charge them for it
we can approach them for support either financial or in some practical way?

Hope some of those seeds land in fertile soil ;-)

Jonathan
(bigfatfrog67)