[Osmf-talk] Automatic membership renewal

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Thu Aug 29 07:48:31 UTC 2013

I suggest to place a OSMF membership icon of appreciation at the user's
page. I mean this page: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeUserName

Right after the user name. If one clicks on this membership icon it
leads to the OSMF website.

As soon as the membership expires the icon disappears automatically;
renewed - and it appears again.

The membership icon (plaque) should be small but of an appealing
professional design.

It has a practical value too. I often use "Who did it"
http://simon04.dev.openstreetmap.org/whodidit/ to see, well, who did a
recent edit at a certain area.

I click at the user name and go to her/his page. If I see that the user
is an active member of the OSMF, I would safely assume that this user's
edits are OK.

Besides it would promote membership.

To place a membership icon (plaque) image on users' pages only one image
file is needed on the server. Pseudo-code is:

if ('User' is active) then (print 'osmf_icon")

For companies membership I suggest to produce an icon for the main map.
So that a small discreet icon of appreciation appears on the main map.
The key=value is:

amenity = OSMF_corporate_member_office

This key=value should be available only to corporate members.

Click on this icon leads to the company's website. Again membership
expires, - icon disappears from the map. Renewed - appears.

It is an amenity, it is the office of the the company, which contributes
to its community in a realistic way.

The graphical design of the icons is very important. Several variants
should be viewed before selecting.

brgds
Oleksiy
(Alex-7)