[Osmf-talk] Automatic membership renewal

Henk Hoff henk at toffehoff.nl
Wed Aug 28 17:22:07 UTC 2013

All options that are currently possible (as far as I can see) leaves the
action with the person who needs to transfer the money: recurring payments,
standing orders, etc. With the upcoming SEPA transactions, it might make
make it easier for people outside the UK (and in the EU) to create a
standing order.

However, these "nagging" renewal mails are something that won't go away
that easy. There always will be people who do not want (or can) "pay
automatically".

What I can (and will) do is to make people aware of the recurring payment
options (in the renewal notification) and mention those as well on the
osmf.org website with all the renewal options.
I once tried to put the link to the paypal page directly in the
notification mail, which resulted the mail being caught by spam filters :-(
 Maybe the spam filters have improved recently, could be worth to try it
again.

Best advise I can give you all now is along the line of GTD: when you get
the renewal notification, act on it directly and don't let it linger. It's
a once-a-year action which does not take a whole lot of time. And it save
you the frustration of getting more nagging e-mails from me ;-)

I see that the treasurer wants to focus on "respective support and
professionalize the donation management" (which I greatly support). One of
the items there is looking at making transaction to the Foundation more
easier / smoothly (and not only for membership fees). Hope to be able to
work with him on getting some results there.

Cheers,
Henk (happily nagging people to pay their membership fee) Hoff