[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Aug 30 06:22:44 UTC 2013

Gregory,

Your point is well taken.

I never thought that satellite imaging is that expensive. Until now it
was produced by scientific satellites which weights 2 tons as an
afterthought. SkyBox.com introduced dedicated new geo-imaging 90
kilograms satellites and the price is still in millions.

There are companies with 5, 8, or 10 thousand employees, which titles
are written in non-Latin characters. These companies may use the OSM for
hundreds of its objects.

Mentioning among donors on the OSMF website in English means almost
nothing to them. But an automatic appearance of an appreciation badge on
the map of that regions of the globe after a financial contribution
could be interesting.

I do not speak of a garish "cash machine" style badge or icon, but of a
well-designed discreet responsible contributor style.

Besides there is a lot of space on the globe surface of the map, enough
for thousands of corporate members, especially if the contribution
system is automatized.

Experienced educators know that individuals who know do not always
volunteer to speak and therefore ask everybody in the room to say at
least some words. It would be interesting to ask everyone to write some
words on "Financing the OSMF". Someone may well know a really good
solution but hesitates to share it.

O.
(Alex-7)