[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 3 18:02:55 UTC 2013

I agree absolutely. Flying a drone in a city is extremely dangerous.

That is why I pilot only a drone which weighs 420 grams (approximately a
pound) http://ardrone2.parrot.com/ardrone-2/specifications/

Still it is capable of producing HD videos and photos.

I flew it numerous times in cities in Western and Easter Europe. I never
had any problem with it, not a word from anyone against it. But it can
fly only about 70 - 80 meters high (220 feet), it is the limit of a WiFi
range.

The eBee weighs 0.7 kg (a pound and a half)
https://www.sensefly.com/drones/ebee.html . It can fly very high, the
limit is 3 km radio link.

If it crashes onto a car or a person it will not be fatal, probably not
even a scratch on a car or a black eye.

This is what written at SenseFly website: "... they weigh so little that
they represent a far lower risk to the population in case of failure.
... On top of that, our R&D team is according a large part of their
effort to implement fail-safe behaviors in order to cope with in-flight
failing components."

The most important is airmanship, the knowledge of meteorology and
technology. For instance, one can fly early in the morning on Sunday,
when streets are empty. Avoid flying in a windy weather, in poor
visibility, etc.

The wind is the enemy number one. But one can well wait for a good
weather to create aerial imagery for mapping.

I doubt that anyone would care if such a drone flies over London or
Moscow. Probably nobody would even notice.

But I have reservations about heavy drones over a city. I think 0.7 kg
is about the limit.

brgds
O.M. (Alex-7)