[Osmf-talk] Paid Mapping / WikiPR like issues in OSM?

Michal Palenik michal.palenik at freemap.sk
Wed Dec 4 07:23:26 UTC 2013

hi

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 10:31:33PM +0100, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
> On 29.11.2013 09:50, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >And of course the question remains, would we expect your hypothetical
> >company PC to declare their interest ("we've been hired by Supermarket-A
> >to map their branches and we're using the following accounts"), or would
> >we not care. Individuals don't need to declare their interests or
> >affiliations - would we expect more from organisations?
> What I could think about is that we ask all mappers who get paid to
> put this information on their user page. Mybe by the community
> guidelines.

at our university I am teaching classes OSM I and OSM II. students get
a grade after completing their home village (or part of their town).
in a sense, they are paid mappers. I try my best to control the quality,
which i think i acheived (except for two cases where the students did
not pass and i corrected the mistakes).

a different university had a similar class, the output quality was very
low. out of nothing, several strange edits (lot of comments, lot of text
on unnecessary objects, names in english in slovakia, ...) appeared.
only after several weeks of questions the teacher responded, promising
better QA.

maybe mandatory field like 'why do you map' would help.

michal

--
michal palenik
www.freemap.sk