[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Francesco Pelullo f.pelullo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:41:34 UTC 2013

I took part in a demonstration flight of the ebee drone last week.

The draft regulation for drones, currently available for Italy, provides (
among other things ) the no-fly zone "... to congested areas, with mass
gatherings of people, groups of houses , infrastructure designed to convey
traffic in general, areas reserved for the security of the state of
infrastructure that can cause a dangerous situation in the event of impact
from the middle plane. Should be avoided flying over railway lines and
stations, highways, power plants, of dams, barracks, depots of munitions,
military ports, factories and industrial plants, hospitals, prisons ... ".

There are exceptions, but always evaluated by Civil Aviation Authority on a
case by case basis, and only for licensed pilots.

If this draft will be approved, I fear that would not be room for legally
apply this kind of relief, as for OSM scope, in Italy.

Apart this, the ebee has a fragile appearance, it is made of a material
that looks like polystyrene and I assume that would not survive intact in a
collision or during dirty landing. This problem is common to all the drones
based on the X5 model (Trimble, DJI, etc).

Given the choice, I'd say that the Aeromapper UAV by Aeromao (aeromao.com)
looks better in this respect. It is made of carbon fiber and fiberglass,
and has not a flying wing profile, should be more stable in case of wind.
It also has a parachute recovery system, operable from the ground, which
might be useful in case of emergency.

Regards
/niubii/