[Osmf-talk] Losing faith

Ivo Stankov ivo at e-stankov.com
Tue Jan 15 23:08:10 UTC 2013

I am fairly new to OSM (since August 2012) and very new as an OSMF
member (this is virtually the first thread I am seeing since
enthusiastically joining a month ago).

None of the names in this list, apart from Steve Coast, say anything to
me and everything I know about Steve comes from the contents of his
Wikipedia entry. What I want to say with this is, I know none of you
personally and have no knowledge of prior politics and feuds amongst you.

As a wide-eyed newcomer, all I can say is, guys, this is just too much
drama from all sides! "I gave you everything!", "I'm resigning!",
"Bullies!" etc. Seriously, do you even comprehend how much creative
energy is lost for such a petty ego fight?! Quite disappointing.

 From following the discussion, my personal opinion is, that the whole
thing boils down to two questions:
1. Is @openstreetmap an ultra official channel of the OSMF, dealing only
with official announcements?
     From reading the tweets, I think the answer is no, some are
playful, some are not that relevant to OSMF, etc. And this is the way it
should be.
2. Can the community trust Steve Coast, the founder of OSM and
definitely the most well known face of OSM from the point of view of the
broad public, to be sensible enough to write tweets from @openstreetmap
that are beneficial for OSM and not partisan or potentially questionable?
      I do not know him well, but somehow I think this should be a given.

If you ask me, this Grouptweet solution, where the author of the tweet
is even visible to the outside users, is quite a good idea.

- Ivo