[Osmf-talk] Losing faith

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Wed Jan 16 15:37:07 UTC 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:27 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> If the organisation takes a decision and Steve doesn't like it there are several things he could do about this without damaging the organisation; what he has instead done is trying to rally those who, like you confessed yourself, don't know anyone in OSMF except for SteveC and of him they know only that he is the founder and for some reason they naturally assume that he should still decide anything he wants. "Look, Richard, more people know my name than yours, I win". But this is exactly the mode of operation we were moving away from, and for good! Steve is not OSM (and he's not not @openstreetmap either); Steve doesn't speak for OSM any more than any mapper does.

This is factually incorrect. I've been trying many internal things for three months. I even stopped short of taking it to the public mailing lists and my blog.

I reject the popularity contest. This isn't a Richard vs. Steve thing at all. This is a "Steve would like to tweet like he was" thing.

> The project has evolved, and is carried by the work of very many people; the amount of work, time, blood, sweat, toil that Steve has invested in OSM is certainly commendable but far surpassed by the work that tens of thousands of others have done in the mean time. I don't see why Steve should get preferential treatment.

I not asking for preferential treatment, Fred. I was tweeting three months ago, then we had some events, now I can't. I'm very happy for others to tweet too, and for there to be some policy of course.

If I was really on the mad power trip there would be no board for you to even be on, Fred. These structures you see around you didn't spring up from nowhere.

Steve