[Osmf-talk] OSM Foundation sign-up at SotM 2013

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Sun Jun 30 18:02:49 UTC 2013

I don't have the numbers off hand. It was a minority of the ~70 identified
though.

We identified the top 50 mappers by changesets and the top 50 mappers by
changes, discounted for bots and then offered a 50 % discount code to each
anybody who was in at least one of those two groups (about 70 individuals).

http://openstreetmap.us/2013/04/special-invitation-to-top-mappers/

Lessons we learned:

- This was real work. Between creating the ranking, the map and sending out
emails this was more than 1 full day.
- We should have done this before opening ticket sales. Some of the people
we reached out to had already signed up.
- This was a useful additional data point for scholarships. At least one of
the top mappers applied for a scholarship.
- I wish more top mappers had come out, doing this earlier might have
helped to encourage them to apply for a scholarship.
- I think we should do this again. It's a really great way to build
personal relationships with the most prolific contributors to OSM.
- Overall volume contributed is a very fuzzy indicator. But I also don't
want to overthink this. If someone's a really great mapper or otherwise
contributor to OSM, suggest them for a scholarship! Or in other words,
discounts for volume contributors won't take you all the way.