[Osmf-talk] OSMF Articles of Association - Discussion on Revision for 2013 AGM - Corporate Membership

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu May 2 13:22:17 UTC 2013

On 2 May 2013 12:14, Simon Poole <simon at osmfoundation.org> wrote:

> I could imagine that when we have a
> discussion about what kind of financing model we would like to have in
> the future (assuming that impromptu donation drives may become to dicey
> and painful with larger yearly budgets) that a possible model would be
> at least partial financing via higher membership fees for corporate
> members.

I haven't seen an equivalent to Frederik's opinion poll on the kind of
financing model we want. But my impression is that the majority don't want
to see OSMF become a larger, staffed organisation with fundraisers and the
like. There isn't an appetite for raising significant sums of money from
corporations for OSMF activities. If a future board was elected with a
clear mandate to go in this direction (which I would personally support)
then that would change things.

So if we were to go down the road of allowing companies to be supporting
members without voting rights, it would be for the data, code, ideas and
outreach that they can bring to the Foundation and the wider community, and
in recognition of the financial and technical support they give in keeping
our IT systems going.

Regards,
Tom