[Osmf-talk] Tanzania

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 9 20:39:50 UTC 2014

Hi Simon

Small devices either GPS or smatphones can do the job.

Etrex GPS are still bought for the various training missions organized. At the same time, we see a progress of smarphones among the small devices.

With HOT, either for Training sessions like in Lubumbushi this spring, or for teams in context of humanitarian emergencies, we have a few reports that this is useful. At the same time, the progress is slow because the humanitarians are often not techies, have other matters to take care and the Packages (ie. Appl, specific menus for humanitarians, documentation, downloading imagery) not yet adapted to their context.

With the various functionalities of the smarphones applications (ie. audio notes, notes, pictures, POI's edit), I think that in the long term they offer quite a potential of bringing new contributors.

If you look at the wiki page for the Ebola Outbrreak, we assure to provide download services updated daily for both GPS and OSMAnd Android.https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response#Offline_Navigation_on_Small_Devices

It would be interesting to study to which extent these various GPS and smarphones are used.

To progress with this, we need to adapt to the various groups contributing with such devices.

Pierre