[Osmf-talk] Tanzania

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Aug 13 19:57:36 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

Both are options. Though HOT often still uses GPS, there are a couple
reasons to do this.

1. GPS units are tougher and ruggedized compared to phones
2. GPS units are less likely to get stolen
3. GPS often has higher grade chips than a cheap smartphone, though we have
been experimenting with using inexpensive smart phones as well.

It really depends on the parameters of the project, meaning if participants
already have smart phones then it is easy to just help them install
software. If they don't often we end up with shared GPS.

Best,

-Kate