[Osmf-talk] Balance of power (was: Re: How to vote to match your view)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Dec 6 12:25:32 UTC 2014

Am 05.12.2014 18:19, schrieb Johan & Marguerite:

> Simon recently (November 30) urges the members to vote three times yes
> on the resolutions, since the balance of power in the board has not
> changed at all since November 8. Since removing the old faces will just
> change 2 faces in a board of 7 I don't understand that.

[Note on the side: it is extremely annoying to start new threads to
answer mails that were posted on other threads.]

The balance of power remark from my side referenced Kates statement that
there was enough change in the board composition that it should be given
a chance.

As Steve pointed out, there is a long term fraction in the OSMF board
which is close to him. Steve called it the "opposition", but that likely
invokes slightly wrong associations, it is more along the lines of the
"rightful heir(s)".

In any case there was only a short time, October 2012 to January 2013 in
which there was a clear (as in 4 members) reform majority in the board.
Unluckily, my fault, as Frederik has noted, I tried to take a consensus
approach to decision finding during that period, which is extremely easy
to derail by an US-style opposition (perhaps Steve is right in his
choice of words). The short lived majority ended when Steve and others
mobbed Richard Fairhurst out of the board.

How this all exactly plays out in practice is not visible to the
membership. Making it transparent would require at least detailed
minutes including voting behaviour, which at least didn't have enough
board support in 2013.

Simon