[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application: Iceland

Mark Obrembalski mark at obrembalski.de
Thu Dec 11 00:15:47 UTC 2014

On 10.12.2014 20:08, Paul Norman wrote:
> I just wanted to bump this, as it probably got missed in all the
> GM-related discussion.

I looked into this even after your first posting but didn't respond
because I didn't see anything extraordinary about the application, so
I assumed it's mostly an announcement of the "speak now or forever
hold your peace" kind. After looking at the documents I saw no reason
to "speak now". I have no idea about the Icelandic OSM community, but
it seems that they didn't file any protests. So I can only say the
stautes the people from Iceland provided look quite sensible to me and
I see no reason why they shouldn't become a chapter of OSMF. If the
OSMF board has any reason to doubt, please state explicitly what your
concernes are.

Part of my looking into the application was looking at the name of the
chapter-to-be: "Hliðskjálf". According to Nordic mythology, that's the
name of Odin's throne, and according to mythology he can look at all
the worlds known to this mythology. So I hope the new Icelandic
chapter of OSM will help us all to overlook the world as we know it
and maybe point out some aspects of the world we may haven't noticeed yet.

Happy mapping,
Mark

> On 12/6/2014 5:32 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
>> The OSMF has received an application from Hliðskjálf for a
>> subgroup within their organization to become the OSMF Iceland
>> chapter under the name OpenStreetMap á Íslandi. For consultation
>> and as part of due diligence we are asking the OSMF community for
>> comments on the application.
>>
>> Details of the application can be be found at
>> http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/Applications/Iceland

and the standard template agreement that would be signed is at
>> http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/Template_agreement.

More information on local chapters can be found at