[Osmf-talk] Articles of Association Update 2.0

Christoph (TheFive@OSM) thefive.osm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 06:01:11 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

thanks for explanation.

Yes of course, there are assets that are born implicit, and becoming of higher value
with the time. And there may be sane scenarios, in which a transfer of assets make
sense, so the Members should vote about it.

For me - i am a „unregular Member“ - i became member with the idea, there is no real
difference between regular and associated Members, so if it has to be stated, that associated
members have to decide, we should do this.

May be i have to become a regular Member too (so my alter ego and me are members), do
i have „two votes“ than ? (if this is a real topic, we should start a new thread about this,
this could be a topic, because creating unregular membership 10 or more times by one person (or company)
can't be controlled by the OMSF Board.
With this in mind, the decision, wether regular or associated Members should decide, became more
relevant.

Coming back to the second point: Initiation of a license change.

As burned childs dreads the fire we should only initiate this process if we need and want to do.

And of course, at the end the license change is decided by the active members. So a simple majority
of associated OSMF Members is a good alternative to my suggestion of 10%.
And as everyone has the chance, to be part of this vote (by becoming a member).

You have asked for any ideas / suggestions. Do we need a „non vote“ period for members ?
with 363 associated Members (http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership/Statistics) in total 520
Members, it is very easy to „buy“ a vote by generating (see above) associated members.
(no problem for CompanY X to tell 100 People to become a member and reimburse the cost by travel expenses).

This does not prevent a „planned“ attack, of course.

Another topic: Is it regulated, that - if the Members wants the board to do something - that they have the power
to do so ? Can the members enforce a AGM (or GM) to give the board any advices (like initiating a license change),
or deselect the board, if it does not handle in the interest of the OSMF ?

And - i had the experience in a german „Verein“ - is it regulated, what happens, if there is a selection of the
board, and there are no candidates ? In result, the old board is still in charge. This is hopefully a theoretical
question, but of interest for those who are personal responsible.

Christoph