[Osmf-talk] Community, criticism and diversity

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:57:49 UTC 2014

Hello Randy,

Part of the Local chapter agreement that Simon helped push forward has some
text about making sure that OSMF actions are known like making SOTM are
publicized and fund raising.

However, speaking for the French local chapter, we cannot raise money for
OSMF for legal reasons due to the different status between the two
organisations in the first place. The only way we could potentially provide
money to OSMF would be under service that OSMF would provide to OSM-FR.
Donations are regulated in the first place so giving back money would need
a purpose like server donation in the first place. I am not an expert on
this aspect thought (so I could be wrong) but it is not as straightforward
as it may seem.

Also, it is unlikely that could provide you with additional information as
we need to ensure privacy in the first place and providing data on members
or people is not really possible in the first place. Europeans tend to be
more conservative when it comes to data exchange in the first place.

As for the advertising for OSMF, I suspect we could probably point towards
OSMF instead of just the international website in the first place with some
text similar to what Alex mentioned in his post but collecting money or
information for OSMF is not really possible. We need to be very careful
about legal boundaries.

It sounds like a good idea but not as straightforward as it seems at least
from the point of view of the French local chapter.

Emilie Laffray