[Osmf-talk] OSMF Members Request for a General Meeting

Gregory sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Mon Nov 10 16:00:50 UTC 2014

In recent weeks there has been a very unusual increase of e-mails to the
OSMF-talk mailing list from people that make it fast pace. Like others I
have not been able to read all of these (though my e-mail filters
prioritise OSMF messages). I will be finding it much easier to read the
minutes of the AGM when they are available.

I think this talk of a OSMF Board reboot is ridiculous. The number of votes
to get elected is so low and it could be damaging to see the board change
so much without consistency carried over. There hasn't even been a chance
for the newly-elected board members to give their views on situations.
There is a deeper issue amongst members of the OSMF and the OSM community.
Why did Frederick resign, state he didn't want to be on the board, still
run for election, and even so why was he the most popular first choice in
the elections?!
Why are there such great people, ones that provide good information and
work hard both on OSMF Working Groups and individually, that have never
even run for election to the OSMF board? What are we doing to scare them
off this?

I think it is strange that we are calling for an EGM (Extraordinary General
Meeting). The AGM just about works because OSMF members are often at the
SotM conference and it is mainly for the benefit of a vote(s) which can be
done remotely (indeed the campaigning is done online without candidate
speeches in person).
How does an EGM work and what benefit will it bring?
What country/location should be chosen?
If we don't have quorum present then what was the purpose of calling the
EGM?
If we do have quorum present then are they prevented from making intense
discussions (what is to stop them passing a motion to reboot the board
rather than just passing a motion for an election on rebooting)?
What kind of biases exist for the beliefs of those present against those
unable to attend?

If people are really unhappy with the OSMF Board, I think they should call
for a specific Board Member to stand down and a vote of no-confidence to
force them off the board if necessary. This is much more normal and
understandable than calling for a whole board to be removed.

Yours Mappingly,
Gregory.