[Osmf-talk] OSMF Governance - Directors

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Fri Nov 14 13:34:31 UTC 2014

Yes, of course anyone who takes the trouble to pay up and join the OSMF
cares about the OSMF. That's about 600 of us, then.

Personally, I haven't contributed to the acrimonious debate about board
size and term limits partly because of the tone of the debate, but
mostly because I have absolutely no confidence that tinkering with those
details is going to fix the problems with OSMF.

I've yet to even hear a clearly stated argument about what IS wrong with
OSMF, apart from Steve's suggestion that the board are "thinking too
small", which seems very plausible. I've heard no convincing argument
that reducing the board size or introducing term limits will help, and
obviously they would harm continuity, with the potential to be
disastrous if we reach the situation where nobody well qualified is
actually allowed to stand. So as it stands, I'm likely to vote against
any resolution at the EGM; I prefer the status quo, where I get to vote
for the best candidates available without limitation.

Those are my reasons for not contributing; I can only guess that other
people's might very well be similar. People who prefer the status quo
often keep quiet.

Jon.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

jon at spiffymap.net     mobile: 07590 024028     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK