[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Derick Rethans osm at derickrethans.nl
Mon Oct 6 11:02:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) wrote:

> 1. is the closed osmf member list really best place to discuss such
> things?

Not really. This is an issue that affects everybody. But the discussion
started here, so IMO, we just as well should finish it.

> 2. culturally sensitive grown-up person would avoid to add any
> questionable tags to the default preset lists. It may be ok for you
> and me, or even useful to some brothel-fan mapper - they can add it
> locally. But lets consider also many people (e.g. teachers etc) from
> any more conservative country (which is over 50% of countries) who are
> studying JOSM and see such “strong word”. For me it seems that some
> people think that it is funny to add and keep such presets to the UI,
> but in fact it is not. Yes, some tags can be subject to discussions,
> but these adult-oriented tags are obviously not necessary nor nice. Or
> do you really want to scare off all school teachers from OSM?

THat's my main point with this as well. If we want to be inclusive, then
we need to be a bit sensible. I tried raising that in the JOSM patch,
but as usual, these opinions are just brushed off.

This has nothing to do with censorship, just being an open and friendly
community.

When I showed this JOSM screenshot[1] to my wife (before explaining the
situation), she was wondering why there was a preset for Brothel there.
She suggested this could go into a subsection to make it less obvious;
but, I think it fits better in a external (non-default preset) - like,
what was suggested to do for a childcare preset…‽[2].

cheers,
Derick

[1] http://derickrethans.nl/files/dump/josm-preset.png
[2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/10569#comment:4