[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Modus operandi of the board

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Oct 21 22:05:18 UTC 2014

Jason,

I suspect you are slightly over interpreting what has been said up to
now. Our accountant and the treasurer have control of the back accounts
and I wouldn't expect to have direct access (nor likely other board
members). The board has relied on the treasurer for cash management and
I have no reason to believe that there are any issues with that other
than it is not very transparent. Other points wrt financial planning and
SOTM  have already been raised.

Historically there seems to have been very little financial reporting,
the board did however three years back or so, as a principle, ask for
quarterly reports, which IMHO is enough given the size of the
organisation and number of transactions. This has been a long time in
the making, but our accountant does produce them now, there is simply
some fail in bringing them to the boards attention (and a further step
would actually be publishing them). Or to put it differently: the OSMF
likely has never had as good control of its financials as right now,
there is simply still more to do.

There is an interesting point in that there is no external/internal
audit of any kind. Not unusual for small companies, but is a bit unusual
for a membership organisation. Very small SOSM for example has two
(elected)  members review the accounts in lieu of a proper audit and
report their findings at the AGM. I could imagine doing something
similar in the OSMF (no idea if this causes any legal issues, but that
can be investigated) given that we currently probably don't want to
spend the money for a formal audit.

Note that Oliver has announced (a couple of weeks back) that he will
resign as treasurer and I expect that the board will elect a replacement
or put an other solution in place at the first meeting after the elections.

Simon